Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thing 5

I like the Tech Learning site. I especially liked the post by Dr. Jim Taylor,  Stop Blaming the Teachers. I agree that teachers in our day in age are looked at as, "the bad guys" and not the good guys.  In years past, teaching was looked at as an honorable profession.  Yes, sometimes I do wonder if the government (and others)  think that teachers just sit around and twiddle our thumbs all day long.  I cannot tell you the number of times I have stayed up at school late (without "overtime pay") to get things done in order to help the kids in my classroom. To be a teacher, you certainly are not doing it for the monetary value, but for building the future and touching lives.  Teaching should be a more highly regarded profession.  Teachers put sweat, blood, and yes tears into their job in the classrooms almost every day.  Yes, just like in any profession, there are the bad apples, but if you took a look into any school, you would find more high quality and dedicated teachers than low quality ones.  America needs to step back and reevaluate the job that teachers do and really begin to think about what is important and what jobs truly help mold and shape lives.

1 comment:

  1. What you stated is so true. And the shame of it all is that so many talented young adults are choosing not to enter the profession for many of the reasons you stated. We are losing young talent to other professions because of the lack of respect and the lower pay scales. I wonder how the current budget crisis will affect this situation in the future?

    ReplyDelete