Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Thing #2 - Thoughts about Web 2.0

Complete a blog post reflecting on your initial thoughts about Web 2.0 and its role in 21st Century teaching and learning. Consider the ways in which Web 2.0 tools might change (or have already changed) your professional practice. How might you be able to use these new tools to engage today's "digital learners?" Why would you want to? How might you be able to use these tools to support your own learning?

I find it amazing how much Web 2.0 tools have changed in my 10 years of teaching.  When I first began teaching, I did not have any Web 2.0 tools avaliable in my classroom. All I had was a teacher computer. Now I have student laptops, infoucs projector, elmo, and a smartboard all in my classroom.  This past year is when I received most of these technological tools. There are so many things that I want to do with my students, but so many things that I need to learn about so that we can utilize these tools.  Students now are definitely "digital learners." My AT class maintained online portfolios in google aps for essays and work and they really enjoyed engaging in these. I am going to do this next year with both my AT and regular classes.  I liked that I could just go to each students sight and see what they have been working on.  I would like to use the sights more and more to where basically most of their work could be accessed online.

3 comments:

  1. In many cases, you can have the students teach you how to use your technology. They already know how, or will pick it up much faster than we can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right. Things HAVE changed in a hurry. I see that you've been using this blog with your students this year. They look like they enjoyed communicating with you this way. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is amazing how much our classrooms have changed in the last 10 years. I see from your previous posts that you've been using this blog in your classroom. I know your students enjoyed blogging with you. Very cool!!! It will be challenging for me since I teach LIFE Skills but I'm trying to work technology in somehow. I may just project my own blog (http://miltonsmommy.blogspot.com/) on the screen and help my students "write."

    ReplyDelete