Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thing 4

Once I start reading blogs, it is hard for me to stop!  Blogging is addicting- it is like reality TV.  I have used blogging with my students in my classroom and I really enjoy it. I think the students enjoy it also.  It is a different form of communication and one that students today feel very comfortable using.  When setting up blogs in the classroom, I found out that almost all of my students have actual blogs of their own that they use for personal use.  I had them set up a seperate blog account for school instead of using their personal blog.

One way that we used blogs in the classroom was with vocabulary.  I had each student post a question on their blog using a vocabulary word. Each student then had to go through and reply to 5 classmates question about their vocabulary word.  It was easy for me to see if they were understanding and using the word correctly.  I think that this sticks with them much better than for example, writing down the definition five times, or something along those lines. 

Reading a blog is kind of like reading a magazine to me- nothing too heavy, just light, enjoyable reading.  One of the blogs that I enjoyed reading in this activity was the Duck with a blog http://duckdiaries.edublogs.org/2nd-grade-duck-theories/. I really liked the different stories that the kids came up with about the duck.  That activity could actually work for any age group- not just second graders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment